Replit Discord Community Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct is supplementary to Replit's main terms of service and contains additional rules applying only to use of the Discord server.3>
We, as members, contributors, and leaders, pledge to make participation in our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, visible or invisible disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.
We pledge to act and interact in ways that contribute to an open, welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and healthy community.
Examples of behavior that contributes to a positive environment for our community include:
- Demonstrating empathy and kindness toward other people
- Being respectful of differing opinions, viewpoints, and experiences
- Giving and gracefully accepting constructive feedback
- Accepting responsibility and apologising to those affected by our mistakes, and learning from the experience
- Utilising each channel for its intended purpose
- Focusing on what is best, not just for us as individuals, but for the overall community
- Holding each other accountable, and calling out misconduct by others
- Listening to community leaders' requests and using the specified channels to communicate discontent with their requests
Examples of unacceptable behavior include:
- The use of sexualized language or imagery, sexual attention, or sexual advances of any kind
- Trolling, profanity, insulting or derogatory comments
- Engaging in discussion of politics in the server
- Advertising a service or product with the sole purpose of self-gain
- Publishing others' private information, such as an email or personal address, without their explicit permission (commonly referred to as "doxxing")
- Intentionally mentioning or "pinging" users or roles without appropriate reason and/or context
- Attempting to divert a conversation for self-gain
- Evading a mute or other punishment by using an alternate account
- Sending pointless messages, repeating the same text many times, or spamming in any other way
Our abilities of the community leaders are limited and hence these requests are made to compensate:
- Please speak using the English language, and do not hide messages. This is requested because our community leaders are not fluent in other languages, and need to be able to respond quickly. Commonly known greetings are acceptable, although if you are unsure if the word is acceptable, you should ask a moderator.
- As our community operates on Discord, Discord expects its moderators in large communities to enforce the Discord ToS. This includes no self bots (that is, controlling a user account through the Discord API), and no members aged less than 13 years old.
- Please respond to infractions given the specified private channel. This is done to ensure community members' and community leaders' voices can be heard.
- Either your username or your nickname must start with characters which can easily be typed on a standard English keyboard. This will be judged on a case-by-case basis, and if you're not sure, err on the side of caution. This is to assist community leaders on a mobile device.
- We will not moderate DMs. If you do not wish to be DMed, you can disable it in Discord's settings. The only exceptions include reports that involve the Discord server, spam, and self-promotion.
This Code of Conduct applies within all community spaces (text channels and voice channels), ModMail, and also applies when an individual is officially representing the community in public spaces.
Examples of representing our community include having a Guardian, Moderator or Replit Team role.
- Instances of abusive, harassing or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be reported to the community leaders responsible for enforcement via contacting the appropriate ModMail bot (as of 28th June 2021, the ModMail bot being used is MailMan#5695).
- All complaints (including against mods) will be reviewed and investigated promptly and fairly.
- All community leaders are obligated to respect the privacy and security of the reporter of any incident.
- All community members are obligated to respect the privacy and security of the respondent of any incident.
Community leaders will follow these Community Impact Guidelines in determining the consequences for any action they deem in violation of this Code of Conduct:
Community Example: Use of inappropriate language or other behavior deemed unprofessional or unwelcome in the community.
Consequence: A spoken warning will be carried out by community leaders in the channel after the inappropriate behavior, providing clarity around the nature of the violation and an explanation of why the behavior was inappropriate. A public apology may be requested.
For any instance of misconduct, one or more warnings may be given, with or without a Correction beforehand. The following punishments are automatically applied:
- After 1 warning: 10-minute mute
- After 2 warnings: 20-minute mute
- After 3 warnings: 1-hour mute
- After 4 warnings: 2-hour mute
- After 5 warnings: 24-hour mute
- After 6 warnings: 48-hour mute
- After 7 warnings: 7-day mute
- After 8 warnings: a ban from the server, usually lasting 3 months but at the discretion of the moderators
For more severe offences, multiple warnings may be given simultaneously to increase the length of the punishment.
Community Example: Sharing a YouTube video or article created by the sender as a form of advertisement for their services
Consequence: A warning with consequences for continued behaviour. This will be sent in a DM. All channels will be locked and inaccessible for 10 minutes.
Community Example: Posting explicit material
Consequence: 3 warnings, resulting in a 1-hour mute (if there have been no previous offences).
Community Example: Constant spam of derogatory terms upon joining the server
Consequence: A permanent ban from any sort of public interaction within the community. The banned user can appeal at https://discord.util.repl.co/appeal to make their ban temporary.
Enforcement Responsibilities and Mod Responsibilities
Community leaders are responsible for clarifying and enforcing our standards of acceptable behavior and will take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any behavior that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.
Community leaders have the right and responsibility to remove posts that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct or rules, and will communicate reasons for moderation decisions.
Guardians, Moderators and the like have an obligation to respect the rules too, as they are representing the Replit community. They should not abuse their position (eg. deleting others' messages that are clearly not against the rules for no good reason).
The following requests are made by the community leaders to ensure community members' time is not wasted when assisting or asking for help.
- Help people appropriately.
- There are no stupid questions! Be patient.
- Everyone starts somewhere. Things that are simple for you may be hard for others. However, sometimes you can get help much faster by searching your problem on a search engine (Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, etc)! If your problem is still not resolved, feel free to ask for help.
- Do not spoon-feed, or just give them the correct code. This halts learning.
- Keep the discussion on the server.
- Try to word your messages clearly, to save time for both yourself and those helping you. If you are unsure how to write a good question, you can read this page: https://jvns.ca/blog/good-questions/.
This Code of Conduct is adapted from the Contributor Covenant, version 2.0, available at https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/2/0/code_of_conduct.html. Community Impact Guidelines were inspired by Mozilla's code of conduct enforcement ladder.
For answers to common questions about this code of conduct, see the FAQ at
https://www.contributor-covenant.org/faq. Translations of the original are available at https://www.contributor-covenant.org/translations.